There is an enormous range of opportunities and options open to students when they leave Orchard School.
To help students make the right decision Orchard School runs a comprehensive programme of study, interviews and events.
In Year 9 students (and some in Year 8) choose the GCSE and BTEC courses that they will follow. They are given guidance over the subjects and levels that are most appropriate for their interests and aptitudes.
Parents are invited in for an Options Evening in January when they can discuss their child's choices with subject leaders.
In Year 9,10 and 11, students attend a Post 16 Fair when colleges and sixth forms give information and advice.
- North Bristol Post 16 Centre
- City of Bristol College
- SGS (South Gloucestershire and Stroud College)
- St Bede's 6th Form
- St Brendan's 6th Form College
Employers, Apprenticeship Providers and Training Organisations also attend.
Year 10 students will practise completing college application forms and will also benefit from a practice one-to-one mock interview. In term 2 every year, Year 10 students are supported and encouraged to go out of school on a week of work experience.
Year 11 students are invited to a one-to-one Post 16 Advice and Guidance session with Mrs Rachel Thorne , Careers and Employability Lead. Mrs Thorne holds individual meetings with all students in Year 11 for an in-depth discussion about all the options open to them. Where appropriate Mrs Thorne will also see student in years 9 and 10.
There is an area in the LRC where college prospectuses and career information is kept, and students can access College, Training and Apprenticeship provider websites via chromebooks which can be requested through the librarian.
Labour Market Information
Please find below some useful information about various sectors that you might be interested to work in once you leave school. You can find out what jobs are included in the sector; what qualifications you need; where you might get a job locally; and what you can expect to learn.
- Bristol City Council Details of Education Providers in Bristol Area
- Career Pilot - Careers Advice
- Career Box - Careers Advice
- NHS Careers - Careers in the NHS
- National Apprenticeship Service - Apprenticeship Advice
- nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/ -Government careers service
- S&B Training - Automotive Trades
- Reflections Academy - Hairdressing
- Army - Army Careers
- Royal Navy - Careers in the Navy
- Air Force - Careers in the Air Force
- Bristol Rovers Bristol Rovers Football Club offer Level 3 BTEC in Sport
- Bristol City FC Bristol City Football Club offer Post 16 courses
- Future Morph offers advice on careers in Science and Maths
- I Could a website with a wide range of videos about different job sectors
- https://www.p16p.co.uk/ Information about Post 16 options
https://www.bristol.gov.uk/documents/20182/239525/Bristol+Post+16+Directory+2020 Listing of all Post 16 providers in Bristol