Coronavirus - Update on GCSE exams from Ofqual
After what has felt like a long wait Ofqual have now published their guidance on how GCSE grades will be awarded this summer. The details for how grades will be awarded in our vocational and technical courses of Digital Media, Health & Fitness, Health & Social Care, Music and Sport Science have not yet been finalised. We will share the information for those courses as soon as we have it.
The information for GCSEs
· We will be asked to make a fair and objective judgement of the grade we believe a student would have achieved had they sat their exams this year. In summary they have asked us to provide the grade we believe students were most likely to get if teaching, learning and exams had happened as planned.
· We will need to take into account all of the evidence and records that we have over the course of study. We will consider a range of evidence including classwork and homework; results in assignments and any mock exams/PPEs; any non-exam assessment or coursework that has been completed; and general progress during the course.
· We will rank order students and their grades in every subject.
· No additional work needs to be completed by students.
· All grades submitted by schools will be checked and standardised.
· To finalise grades Ofqual will make sure they look at the expected national outcomes for exams, prior attainment of students and our school results in recent years.
We know it has been a difficult time for students as they wait to hear the new arrangements for allocating grades. Students can contact Mr Grafton with any queries, please note however:
· We are not allowed to discuss any details related to the process of allocating grades with students, parents or carers.
· We cannot share our provisional centre assessed grades with students, parents or carers before final results are issued.
Full guidance for teachers, students, parents and carers can be found here:
Students have received an email on Friday from Mr Grafton. It included the link to this letter for students from Ofqual: