What’s it all about?
Science at Orchard School follows a two-year programme at Key Stage 3.
We build on the Science knowledge already gained in primary school and cover topics across Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
We offer an entry level certificate in year 9 to some students to prepare them for their GCSE.
Year 10 and 11 students study double award Science, but have the option to take triple Science.
IN BRIEF: Science is all about understanding the world around us and the universe beyond. It is always exciting and always developing.
You can see what topics are studied across each year group below:
|9||Students study GCSE science and cover topics including: Cell biology, Organisation, Infection and response, Bioenergetics and Atomic structure and the periodic table, Bonding, structure, and the properties of matter, Quantitative chemistry, Chemical changes, Energy changes.|
|10||Energy, Electricity, Particle model of matter, Atomic structure, Homeostasis and response, Inheritance, variation and evolution, Ecology,The rate and extent of chemical change, Organic chemistry, Chemical analysis, Chemistry of the atmosphere, Using resources|
|11||Forces, Waves, Magnetism and electromagnetism and revision of GCSE topics for exams|
- Fiona Fields, Subject Leader: Science, BSc Physiology, MA Education
- Mat Grafton, BSc Applied Biology, MSc Ecotoxicology
- Cassie Morrison, BSc Biology
- Matt Parkes, Second Lead in Science, BSc Biology, MSc Forensic science
- Kate Richards, Assistant Headteacher, BSc Natural Science, MA Education
- Nathan Freeman, MA Neuroscience
- Sarah Barker, BSc Pharmacology
- Madeleine Selman, MSc in Ecology and Conservation
- Sue George, Science Technician
- Sharen Cordy, Science Technician
- BBC Science - interesting articles and videos related to the world of science.
Follow us on Twitter, @OrchardScience!