There is an enormous range of opportunities and options open to students when they leave Orchard School.
To help students make the right decision Orchard School runs a comprehensive programme of study, interviews and events.
In Year 9 students (and some in Year 8) choose the GCSE and BTEC courses that they will follow. They are given guidance over the subjects and levels that are most appropriate for their interests and aptitudes.
Parents are invited in for an Options Evening in January when they can discuss their child's choices with subject leaders.
In Year 10 and 11 students attend a Careers Fair when Colleges give information and advice, including
- North Bristol Post 16 Centre
- City of Bristol College
- SGS (South Gloucestershire and Stroud College)
- St Bede's 6th Form
- St Brendan's 6th Form College
Employers, Apprenticeship Providers and Training Organisations also attend.
Year 10 students will practise completing college application forms and will also benefit from a practise one-to-one mock college interview. In July every year, Year 10 students are supported and encouraged to go out of school on a week of work experience.
Year 11 students are invited to one-to-one Post 16 Advice and Guidance session with Sam Holman an impartial careers adviser. Sam holds individual meetings with all students in Year 11 for an in-depth discussion about all the options open to them. Where appropriate Sam will also see student in years 9 and 10.
There is an area in the LRC where College Prospectuses are kept along with general Careers information. There are two dedicated computers set up with links to Colleges and Training and Apprenticeship providers.
Labour Market Information
Please find below some useful information about various sectors that you might be interested to work in once you leave school. You can find out what jobs are included in the sector; what qualifications you need; where you might get a job locally; and what you can expect to learn.
- Bristol City Council Details of Education Providers in Bristol Area
- Career Pilot - Careers Advice
- Career Box - Careers Advice
- NHS Careers - Careers in the NHS
- National Apprenticeship Service - Apprenticeship Advice
- JTL Training - Training in Electrical, Plumbing, Electrical, Heating and Ventilation
- National Careers Advice - Central Government Careers Advice
- S&B Training - Automotive Trades
- Reflections Academy - Hairdressing
- Army - Army Careers
- Royal Navy - Careers in the Navy
- Air Force - Careers in the Air Force
- Bristol Rovers Bristol Rovers Football Club offer Level 3 BTEC in Sport
- Bristol City FC Bristol City Football Club offer Post 16 courses
- Future Morph offers adviceon careers in Science and Maths
- I Could a website with a wide range of videos about different job sectors