What’s it all about?
At Orchard School, our Year 7 and 8 curriculum has been developed to support GCSE subject knowledge and is designed to cover all the Humanities subjects. This is achieved by a teacher taking responsibility for all areas and rotating subject content. This encourages interactive lessons and a greater understanding of individual students.
Students are taught in mixed ability groups with a top set in Years 7 and 8 and are formally assessed every term to ensure that they are taught according to their specific learning requirements. Key Stage 4 students opt for Humanities subjects at GCSE. We offer GCSEs in History and Geography. All students take Religious Education for at least two years.
IN BRIEF: Humanities involves the following three subjects: History, Geography and Religious Education. It supports English in developing your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Jenny Onslow, BA, PGCE Secondary Education, Certificate in PSHEE
- Gemma Hickey, BA, PGCE Secondary Education
- Emma Courtney, BA, PGCE Secondary Education
- Peter Hurran, BA, PGCE Secondary Education
- Fergus O'Donovan BA PCGE Secondary Education
- Sian Williams BA PCGE Secondary Education
- Tonya Russell BA PGCE Secondary Education
You can see what topics are studied in each subject across each year group below:
|7||An overview of British history from 1066-1600s focusing on who had power and how people lived.|
|8||An overview of British history from 1600-1945 focusing on who had power and how people lived.|
|9||Civil Rights & Paper 2: Health and the people 1000-present|
|10||Paper 2: Norman England 1066-1100 & Paper 1: Conflict and Tension, World War 1|
|11||Paper 2: Germany democracy and dictatorship 1880-1945 & Revision|
How green is our city?
Why is our world hazardous?
How fragile is our earth?
Does money make you happy?
UK physical landscapes - rivers
UK physical landscapes - coasts
The changing economic world
|7||How do different religion celebrate?
What has religion got to do with me?
|8||Ethics and morality - with a focus on monotheistic religions
Ethics and morality - with a focus on polytheistic religions
|9||Medical issues and religion|
|10||Relationships and family
War and peace
Crime and punishment
|11||Christian beliefs and teachings
Islamic beliefs and teachings
- Georgraphy - Year 11s will be studying all of the topics highlighted in the BBC Bitesize Geography section. For topics related to KS3, click here.
- Religious Education - Year 11s will be focusing on the 'Ethics' sections of each religion in the build-up to their GCSEs. For topics related to KS3, click here.
- History - Year 11s will be focusing on Medicine Through Time and Germany (Germany 1918-1939 & Germany in Transition c. 1929-1947). For topics related to KS3, click here.
Follow History on Twitter, @OrchardHistory!
Follow Geography on Twitter!