You can find out about each of our subjects, here.
Students in Years 7-8 (Key Stage 3) study the following subjects:
- English and Drama
- Modern Foreign Languages (French and Spanish)
- Humanities (History, Geography, Religious Education)
- Art and Music
- Design & Technology (including Food Technology)
- Physical Education (including Dance)
- Personal & Social Health Education (PSE) and Citizenship
- Latin (extended opportunity)
Year 9 is a transition year. Most students start their Key Stage 4 curriculum in Year 9, which includes choosing courses in Design and the Arts as well as taking a BTEC Science. Students start English, Maths, Science, Humanities and Modern Foreign Languages GCSE courses in preparation for sitting exams at the end of Year 11.
A minority of students will be given the opportunity to sit some exams in Years 9 or 10, eg. Classic Civilizations, Further Maths and English Language.
Key Stage 4 Options
All students in Years 9, 10 and 11(Key Stage 4) follow a key curriculum of:
- English (Language and Literature)
- Mathematics GCSE
- Combined Science
- Physical Education
- Religious Education
- Personal & Social Health Education ( including careers, citizenship and money matters)
- Students also prepare for work experience in Year 10
Plus a choice from:
- GCSE Subjects: Geography, History, RE, French, Spanish, Sport, Art, Child Development, Drama and Product Design
- BTEC Subjects: Engineering, Health and Social Care
- Certificate Courses: V Cert Performance skills and business, English as a Foreign Language, Entry Level in Maths and Science, Step up to English. EAL students can also sit GCSEs in their home language.
- AND additional extended course to challenege the most able, including Triple Science, Duke of Edinburgh Award, and AS Level Creative Writing.
Please see the attachments below for more information on all of the courses that are being offered at KS4 at Orchard School Bristol 2017-18.
The new GCSEs no longer have coursework elements, although practical in school assessments still run for Sport Science and Art BTEC, and V Cert courses contain coursework elements.
On Wednesday we offer a full enrichment programme including Food, Textiles and Spanish which can lead to GCSE entry.
Year 10 Key Information for Parents
For key information for Year 10 students; exams, revision, work experience, please see the document below.
If you require further information about our curriculum please contact Mr Pete Gould on email@example.com.